SABC institutes legal action against Motsoeneng and Aguma

11 August 2017

Regulation & Policy

The public broadcaster’s interim board wants to go after the two executives’ pensions for losses incurred during their tenure.

The interim board of the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) says it has instituted legal proceedings to recover money from its disgraced former executives, Hlaudi Motsoeneng and James Aguma.

Addressing parliament’s portfolio committee on communications on Tuesday, board chairperson Khanyisile Kweyama said they would go after the two executives’ pension payouts to cover liabilities from their policy changes during their tenure at the public broadcaster.

The board was briefing the committee on the implementation of the recommendations of an ad-hoc committee that probed the affairs of the SABC.

Kweyama said Motsoeneng’s controversial 90% local content policy cost the SABC’s television division R183 million in advertising revenue, while the radio division incurred losses of R29 million. The figures still need to be audited.

The former chief operating officer was fired from the SABC after an internal disciplinary hearing found him guilty of misconduct in June. Motsoeneng has taken the broadcaster to the CCMA for unfair dismissal.

Aguma, who was the SABC’s chief financial officer and acting CEO, resigned last month in the midst of an internal disciplinary hearing instated against him by the board due to allegations of tender irregularities and fruitless and wasteful expenditure.

Source: The Citizen